Re: Java naming scheme

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thursday 18 January 2007 09:26, Fernando Nasser wrote:
Spot brought the 3jpp.fc6.1 format to the packaging group which was
discussed and agreed as a possible temporary format.  Unfortunately,
3jpp.fc6.1 doesn't work for interleaving with jpackage if jpp is
removed.  So we'll probably have to have another (hopefully short)
discussion about using 3jpp.1.fc6 & 3.1.fc6.
Why the %{_dist} is necessary here?  Can't we just add the number?
I thought we would need the %{_dist} only if we needed to have the same
RPM built in two different distro releases and they were release
specific (depend on some shared library or something).

Unfortunately it may be necessary for you folks, if we ever have to bump the package in an older release, without becoming NVR higher than the same package in a newer release. If 3jpp is used in both FC6 and F7, and we have to rebuild in FC6 for whatever localized reason, we have to be able to do it in a way that doesn't promote it to be NVR higher than the 3jpp in F7.

But isn't the norm that we do this only if such case ever happen?

Anyway, I believe the only case we would respin the FC6 one would be if there was a (security?) bug, so we will probably have to respin the FC7 one as well, so it will end up being FC6 +1 anyway. At least this is what has been happening so far.

Shouldn't we leave the %{_dist} out and add it only if absolutely necessary for a specific package?