Re: printing textual messages in %post etc.?

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 21.12.2006 09:06, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Do the GuideLines/Does the FPC have an opinion on rpms intentionally
printing out textual messages during installs?
At least, I could not find a corresponding paragraph in the GuideLines.

Hmm, I think we discussed this some weeks/months ago and I think the consensus was that "RPM files should not output anything during (un)install". But I can't find it in the guidelines just yet -- maybe was forgotten again... (or I'm to blind to find it)

I don't have a strong opinion on this and actually am ambivalent.
On one hand, such messages can be helpful to users.
On the other hand, in general, rpm-installs should be silent as much as
possible.

/me strongly votes for silent. Yes, having "something" that sends notes like the one from tripwire to the sysadmin somehow would be helpfull. But %pre{,un},%post{,un} are the wrong place for it IMHO as it often scrolls away quickly unnoticed and is not even shown in pirut and other tools afaik.

They also mess up automatic installation/upgrading systems output unnecessarily. +1 for only warnings and/or errors.

Not however that people will try and fix this by redirecting the whole output to /dev/null , so not even errors or warnings will show up ;-)
Perhaps a footnote that that is not the preferred way of fixing it.

Regards,
Fernando