Re: Disabling debuginfo packages

On 10/20/06, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:16:41 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:

> > I'd like to request the following packaging policy:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > If a packager uses something with the same effect than
> >
> >   %define debug_package %{nil}
> >
> > which disables the automatically built "debuginfo" package, the spec file
> > MUST contain a comment that explains why this is done.
>
> This goes without saying.  Infact why be so specific?  The rule should
> be that if anything is done that is out of the ordinary a comment must
> be added that explains why.

What is "anything that is out of the ordinary"? Where does it start?
Where does it stop? You could call some BuildRequires "out of the
ordinary", too, but a packager might consider them as ordinary.

It's very simple.  You use your own judgement.  When in doubt, add a
comment.  If there is ever any disagreement between packager and
reviewer, the default is to add a comment.