Re: Kernel modules packaged for dkms

Matthias Saou wrote:
Hi,

Regarding kernel modules, as many, I got tired of :
1) Packaging them as binary rpms, tracking new kernels to release new
packages (it's almost impossible to track Rawhide btw).
2) Endless discussions about what packaging method is the best, upgrade
paths, ugliness of versions inside names, common vs. kernel specific
bits etc. etc.

So I decided to go for the dkms approach to install 3rd party kernel
modules, and things got so much simpler. It's pretty obvious : If one
can issue a simple "make" to get a required module, why go through so
much complexity for rpm packages?

There are two possible discussions which can start here :

1) What do Fedora packagers think of dkms? Up to now, no kernel modules
packages using dkms have been released in Extras, nor in 3rd party
repositories AFAIK. Maybe there are some good reasons, in which case
I'm interested in knowing them.

The ppp_mppe kernel module was successfully distributed as a dkms-based RPM package by the PPTP Client project before the module got included upstream in 2.6.15 (and is still used by distributions having older kernels).

http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/yum/

Paul.