Re: [Fwd: devel packages with only one .pc file]

Hi,

As the person who actually filed the bugs...

> The one-file -devel package is totally useless, all it leads to is:
> * Existance of -devel package means we bloat the 64bit distro with the
> 32bit version of the main package too.

Is there actually a reason for doing this? I could never understand it.

> * Developers, script or packages fail because they want to use the .pc
> file but the -devel package is not installed.

And? Just requires adding the devel package - hardly an amazingly
difficult act!

> I can't really think of any advantages. What exactly is the reasoning
> behind this rule?

This point was discussed at length when the mono packaging rules were
being done. Most (if not all) mono packages ONLY have the .pc file in
the devel package - mono-debugger is the exception to that but that is a
special case.

My personal feeling was (at the time) - bloody stupid idea, but now I
can see the point.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Bist Du meine Mutter?" - das leere kind