Re: Importance of debuginfo packages

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:54:22AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> JK> Enough so that running gdb (gnu debugger) on the application will
> JK> produce a meaningful traceback.
>
> So what needs to be there in order for that to work?
>
> I need to be able to superficially inspect a debuginfo package and
> know whether it has enough stuff in it or not.

That's very difficult, especially in projects with subdirectories that
may redefine CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS w/o the builder noticing. sope/ogo is one
nasty candidate for example.

There are some safety pins in debuginfo, IIRC if it's turned on, but
the debuginfo turns out empty the build will fail. That's how it gets
my attention to fix debugging symbols at least :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net