Re: Namespace for cross-compilation tools?

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 23:19 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"RC" == Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
RC> Why?

What is "i386" and why does it have a subpackage of "rtems4.7"?

RC> This name is the name being used for GNU crosstool toolchains for
RC> many years (> a decade). It corresponds to the target
RC> canonicalization tuple internally being used by binutils/gcc/gdb,
RC> and the autotools.

So?
Yes. Target canonicalization tuples are standardized (In particular in
binutils, GCC and gdb) and shared between *all* projects using
config.guess and config.sub (I.e. all package using the autotools).

  We are free to make decisions for ourselves instead of blindly
using someone else's naming convention.
Yes, it's our freedom to waste time on re- and over engineering parts
others have spend decades on.

A gcc cross compiler's components are called <target>-<component>

You can even find traces of this in Fedora:
e.g.
/usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux-gcc
/usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux-c++

I.e. people will be looking for <target>-<tool>

  If the name is completely
confusing (as it is to me) then surely we should talk about it before
just stuffing it into the repository.
Would packages be called i386-cygwin-gcc
or
i386-redhat-gcc
i586-suse-gcc
sparc-sun-solaris2.8-gcc

be confusing to you?

IMO, they are self-explanatory.

Why is the binary target name being used for the package name? That's not intuitive to an end user at all IMHO.

I think confusing the binary target name with the actual package name is a mistake.

gcc is gcc, not i386-redhat-linux-gcc

OpenSUSE uses cross-<arch>-gcc/binutils/whatever-version
debian looks like it uses gcc/binutils/whatever-<arch>-version

Personally I like the cross-prefix, its a lot more obvious to an end user what the package is and is for, but thats just me.

Michael