Re: [Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 06:31:42PM +0200, Christian.Iseli@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx said:
> > And that we should have a registry of standard fixed UIDs within that range,
> > right?
> That's the part I don't understand: why a global registry ?

So that multiple systems have the same ids. Or so that if you do a
reinstall, your files have the same owners.

> Isn't the point of adding local UIDs to get a kind of macro thing, i.e. what
> is standard is the name, which should be the same on all machines, but nobody
> cares what the actual UID is ?

The filesystem cares. Therefore, we have to.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>