Re: [Fedora-packaging] perl module MODULE_COMPAT

Warren Togami wrote:
Since then however perl has not broken ABI (?), so it seems that we have this seemingly overcomplicated construct. But if we do break ABI again like in FC5 because we recompile the same version of FC4 perl with some new flag, MODULE_COMPAT can enforce exact deps and prevent incompatible FC4 packages from being installed on FC5.

[root@fedora64 perl5]# ls 5.8.0 5.8.1 5.8.2 5.8.3 5.8.4 5.8.5 5.8.6 site_perl vendor_perl [root@fedora64 perl5]# pwd /usr/lib64/perl5

Hmm, FC4 still continues to have symlinks going back to 5.8.0 (RHEL3). I think this is a mistake. We haven't maintained ABI compat that long right?

Dirs should have been removed when they are known to be incompatible.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx