Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:

Mm, you *could* do that by doing a "manual" update of erasing the specific
older version of the package and installing the new, instead of using
rpm's normal update procedure. Actually this has been brought up before on
the subject of kernel-module packages, on freshrpms-list IIRC. I wasn't
excited about doing such a "manual" update from apt for this special case
then and I'm not now either :)

<sigh> God this is going to be ugly.

Like really, really, really ugly.

No s**t. I think dealing with that should be possible from apt's lua-scripts just like the current "magic" is but I haven't given it much thought since the current scheme "just works" with the uname-in-package-name scheme which.. I don't like either but at least it works.

For your (and others') <cough> amusement, there's a long and lively discussion about kernel-module dependencies, naming schemes etc at http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2004-March/thread.html
Something inside my head keeps saying there's a nice solution to this all but we're just too blind to see it. Most likely I've just been too much into mushrooms lately however... :P

	- Panu -