Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:
I think it still leaves in a bad place for when a kernel module is
updated w/o changing kernel versions.

if you have:
kernel-module
ver=1.0.9
release=2.6.10-1ac-15

and an update which is:
kernel-module
ver=1.1.0
release=2.6.10-1ac-15

so the kernel module has changed version  - but not kernel.

so it really, actually, needs to be updated.

which isn't a problem - except that b/c the pkg name is the same - an
update will remove ALL the older versions for that package.

so if you have:
kernel-module
ver=1.0.9
release=2.6.9-1ac-15

installed - then that goes away on an update.

Maybe I missed it but I'm not sure how his proposal solves for that
case.

I don't see it solving that either. Nobody *likes* those kernel-module-foo-2.6.10-1.741_FC3 type names but nobody has come up with a solution which covers all the cases without the kernel version in package name. Oh and I think special name-based hacks are required for this anyway... and I seriously doubt you want those in yum proper.

If I understood correctly the Xtrigger-stuff should allow pushing the special kernel-module handling to a separate script/module and enabled only where needed, somewhat like my apt lua-script which handles (or at least tries to :) this mess.

	- Panu -