Re: How is PipeWire working out for you?

Hi Christian,

I've been exclusively using pipewire and been happy with it.  It has provided me with low latency and seems to identify all of my hardware correctly.  Using Carla, I'm able to re-wire my audio to fit my current workflow.  There have been some issues:

- When freewheeling wasn't implemented I was shutdown from rendering in Ardour for a couple of weeks. That's now fixed

-Ardour seemed to be unstable with pipewire. That's from both my experience and what I've read on various forums.

-While App developers tend to try to be helpful, there's not a wide acceptance of pipewire yet.  A common response is to go back to Jack, or switch to alsa.  I've come across several individuals in forums who advocate to everyone to avoid pipewire and stick with jack.

-I switched to Reaper, but Reaper fails to reconnect everything in pipewire.  This is annoying as every time I restart Reaper, or render in Reaper I have to go into Carla and reconnect my sources and sinks.

-Reaper has no way to set pipewire buffer size and I couldn't get jackCtl to work to control it.  Apparently this works with Jack?  My work around is to define the environmental variable to set pipewire buffer when evoking Reaper from the command line,

-Gucview no longer saves audio under pipewire during video recording and there seems to be no progress, or even acknowledgement of where the problem lies.

-I customized alsa-monitoring to rename my audio interface and its ports, but upon updating pipewire all the customization was overwritten.  The update did back-up the original file, however having to re-do the customization every time pipewire updates is annoying

-Finally, I wish there was a set of good quality GUI utilities specifically for pipewire available from Fedora repository. I believe such utilities would go a long way in giving the impression that pipewire is polished and a worthy replacement for Jack and pulseaudio.

I hope this helps,

Keith