Trouble getting Jack to work with "extra Device"

I'm having trouble getting audio output to my internal ACS1220A
motherboard audio (connected to external speakers) when Jack is using
an external USB audio interface for input.

!. with Jack not running, pulseaudio works fine and sound (music file)
comes out of the ACS1220A

2. with Jack configured to use the USB audio interface as source and
sink, and pulseaudio bridge, it works fine. Sounds is heard from the
USB audio interface headphone.

However, If I add the AC1220A PCH 1,0 digital output device to JACK
(via studio controls "Extra Devices")  it shows up in Carla, and I can
connect it up so that all output (pulse_out) goes to it, but there's no
sound.

I check the ALSA mixer and pulse mixer controls and don't see any
problems.

I tried setting up Studio controls a few different ways, but nothing
seem to work.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem?  seems like
it should work.

Thanks,
Keith