Re: Crossfade GNU/Linux 0.90: Fedora Remix for DJing from USB drives

On 03/16/2015 06:05 PM, Be wrote:
> Crossfade GNU/Linux 0.90 is a cross-platform digital DJ system for USB
> flash and portable hard drives. Crossfade GNU/Linux allows you to use a
> USB drive with your music collection to DJ on any modern PC (with an x86
> or x86_64 CPU), including Apple Macs, using the DJ program Mixxx
> customized however you like. USB drives with Crossfade GNU/Linux
> installed on them show up in Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux as normal
> USB drives that music or any other data can be copied onto. Unlike
> ordinary USB drives, they can also be used to boot Crossfade GNU/Linux.
> After rebooting, the PC will be back to how it was before. See the
> manual included in the torrent for installations instructions.
>
> Get the torrent here:
> http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=054465878ca40308a585654d3859786dfd79f133&f=crossfade-0.90.torrent
> Please seed the torrent! :)
>
> Crossfade GNU/Linux and Mixxx are free software--free as in artistic
> freedom, not just price. You are free and encouraged to use, copy,
> *share*, and modify this software however you wish and share your
> changes with the community here. Sharing Crossfade GNU/Linux can be a
> great way to encourage friends to start DJing or introduce DJs who use
> proprietary software such as Traktor, Serato Scratch, Serato Itch, or
> Virtual DJ to free software without having to commit to installing
> anything on their PC.
>
> Crossfade GNU/Linux is setup with a realtime Linux kernel for optimal
> performance. It includes the Xfce graphical desktop environment, Midori
> web browser, and Clementine music player. It has a number of other
> programs for live musical performance including the Hydrogen drum
> machine, SooperLooper and Giada loopers, Guitarix electric guitar
> amplifier, Rakarrak guitar effects board, Ardour digital audio
> workstation,Audacity wave editor, and many LV2 and LADSPA audio effects
> plugins. Additionally, Crossfade GNU/Linux includes utilities that make
> it useful as a computer rescue system, such as the GParted partition
> manager, GNU GRUB bootloader, TestDisk data recovery program, FSArchiver
> filesystem backup program, and MATE Disk Usage Analyzer. Crossfade
> GNU/Linux is a Fedora Remix containing software from sources other than
> Fedora, namely RPMFusion and PlanetCCRMA, as well as scripts and
> configuration specific to Crossfade GNU/Linux.
>
> To do:
> -Confirm that USB drives are readable by CDJs. I do not have CDJs so
> help would be appreciated! (DJ Pegasus also mentioned it should be
> readable by his car stereo... o.O)
> -A logo and desktop background. I have a sketch on paper for a logo. Now
> I need to learn how to use Inkscape.
> -Internationalization. Does anyone want to volunteer to translate the
> liveusb-install script and manual?
>
> I am thinking about ordering custom USB drives with the logo printed on
> them to sell with Crossfade preloaded. They would be either 16, 32, or
> [...]

Be,

I am familiar with this thing, "linux", and really your little distro
sounds interesting and, as I have a need for something like this for a
party coming up in two weeks, I might just try it out.

Two questions:

1. is it Fedora-based or are you just promoting it here based on the
music aspect?
2. where can I find your logo sketch? I can't make any promises, but I
know my way around inkscape.

Cheers,

Klaatu