Re: ardour and ardour3 packages

On 10/11/14 20:04, Brian Monroe wrote:
Can someone enlighten me why we forked these packages with the naming
scheme this way?

I know that the licensing changed from the version 2 and version 3
releases and caused us to package them separately, but it seems to me
like it's backwards. Is there a fedora policy that would prohibit us
from packaging ardour3 under the package name ardour and ardour ver 2
under ardour2.

I can see this as being a potentially sore spot for new users to try to
install Ardour with "yum install ardour" and being disappointed and or
confused with why Fedora is a whole version behind. Or bewildered when
they start using the program and it doesn't look right and the menus are
all wrong according to the website.

We are packaging both because we need to support projects created by ardour 2. The reverse of your argument equally applies here ;)

We could have renamed the previous ardour package but to do so requires a new package review and is not really worth the effort. In time the older package will become obsolete and installing "ardour" will indeed provide ardour3.