Re: Liner notes

On 01/26/2014 01:11 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Christopher Antila
<crantila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Problem 1: with a "Spin," we can't accomplish everything we wanted (e.g., no
realtime kernel, no MP3 support).

Is the real-time kernel still an issue? Sure, in the days of slow
machines, 32-bit x86 and low-end sound cards it might have been a
problem, but really - with a 2 GHz 64-bit chip and audio cards that do
the heavy lifting, is the real-time kernel still needed?

The answer would be, well, it depends.

Every new Fedora release comes with a new kernel. So far every time I test a new one I rapidly find it does not work well enough for my needs. Xruns happen too frequently. My needs are all Jack based, 48KHz, 128 x 2 latency (at least), both onboard sound and ExpressCard based RME cards (at home), M66 and RME cards at work. Usually heavily loaded systems for realtime performance and processing, no xruns please :-)

-- Fernando