Re: (no subject)

On 11/08/2013 04:24 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
Hello everyone,

Some of you will recognize me from my past work on the audio side of
Fedora. I joined the world of packaging in the summer of 2008. It
wasn't too long until I noticed that there were lots of room for
improvement and limited manpower on the audio production side of my
distribution. Given that I was a musician myself, I decided to put my
focus on joining the world of free audio software developers with
enthusiastic musicians who want to explore Linux. I decided to carry
the torch my predecessors (I want to take the liberty on behalf of our
community to thank Anthony Green for all his work) kept lit until
then.

I want to say it has been a great project, a pleasant experience,
thanks to our supportive community. I learned a lot along the way,
became a programmer myself, even got a part-time job as a
programmer/RPM packager when I was in school. With the help and
support of planetccrma folks, we moved a large number of key packages
to Fedora (thank you Fernando for everything!), worked on the
integration of our software with other parts of the system, kept all
packages up-to-date, backported fixes when they were available, wrote
the fixes ourselves when they were not available. Through packaging, I
found the opportunity to network with many great developers (at some
point I became one of the main developers of a cool software (Muse)
that I was packaging).

Nevertheless the time I could spend on this project diminished over
time. In the past, I wanted to make an audio production spin for
Fedora so bad, but never found the time to make it live. Fortunately,
new talents joined the crew and took the burden (thanks and respects
to Brendan Jones and the others) along the way and produced the Fedora
Jam spin. I know it was hard work and I wish I did more than picking
the name :)

As I wasn't dedicating enough time to respond to new requests and bug
reports, last week I handed over most of my packages, including core
packages such as jack, ardour(2), hydrogen and others, to Brendan. He
was so kind to help out despite having to deal with ten thousand other
things. (He is the torchbearer now :)) I reduced my packaging duties
to only those packages that I am/was the developer for, plus a handful
of others. I am confident that they will now get the attention they
deserve.

 From now on, I will keep contributing, but mostly as a user as I was
pre-2008 (I am still an active musician playing in a band and I love
to work with all these tools!). I will always be within reach when
help is needed. I hope you folks will respect this decision.

Thank you all, once again, for your contributions to Fedora and to my
life. I'll see you around!

Best regards,
Orcan

Hey Orcan,

thanks for your invaluable assistance over the years. Good luck with making music and all the joy that that entails!

Brendan.