Re: Compatible USB Audio Interface

On 07/25/2013 03:43 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 01:26 AM, profiles wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a musician and recently joined this mailing list. I use Fedora18
>> and would like to use it to create music. I am having trouble getting
>> off the ground as I have not identified a USB Audio Interface that is
>> compatible with Fedora. I have visited the ALSA soundcard matrix wiki
>> and a number of forums in hopes of finding a device. Unfortunately many
>> of the models and makes talked about are a few years old now and,
>> frequently, are no longer available from distributors. I imagine a few
>> people on this list use some sort of soundcard to test/use all of the
>> great software that is being created for linux users.
>>
>> I am inviting suggestions from people with experience in the application
>> of audio hardware in the fedora environment. I am looking for a device
>> that uses an independent power plug, connects with usb 2.0, and has both
>> MIDI and analogue inputs and outputs. A device similar to this would be
>> great:
>>
>> http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/media
>
> As long as it is a class 2 compliant USB audio device you should have no
> issues (that's USB 1.1)
>
> There are reports of a similar device working well here:
>
> http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7543
>
> My Roland/Edirol UA25EX works fine here, although in advanced mode it is
> not strictly a USB 1.1 device. I suggest the best place to look is the
> ALSA device matrix [1] for compatibility and post an email on
> linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx just to make sure - that's your
> best bet.
>
> Please , let us know how you get on
>
> [1] http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Hi Occhi:

I've been shopping for a new audio interface for a couple of months now.
My requirements are similar to yours, but I also want a device with
S/PDIF support, preferably optical. Here are some general observations.

It seems like buying an audio interface is more similar to buying audio
equipment than computer equipment. You said most of the recommended
interfaces are a couple of years old, and that seems true to me too, but
I don't think that's a problem by itself. Another issue is the USB 2.0
one... if you want an interface that is going to work easily, you should
probably avoid interfaces that are "USB 2.0 only," because Linux support
tends to be weaker. If what you're looking for is something that will
work easily, I would consider buying something used. The Roland/Edirol
interface Brendan mentioned seems to be widely used and recommended.

That's not where my search ended. As it turns out, digital in-/out-puts
are a bit of an issue, and since I'm replacing another device (with
neither MIDI nor S/PDIF---this is why), I want to be sure the new device
will have superior audio characteristics. I found a device that may be
exactly what you want: the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (see link below).
People say it has excellent sound quality, it works out-of-the-box with
Linux, and it's a USB 2.0 device with MIDI ports. To get the S/PDIF
outputs, I think I'm going to get the similar 6i6 model. The 6i6 is
apparently a bit of a struggle to set up, but somebody has to do the
testing, and it might as well be me.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4

As always, I'm curious to know about other people's experiences.

Christopher