Re: Fedora Jam tracking well

On 07/12/2013 10:01 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:
Hi everyone:

On 07/12/2013 09:33 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
Currently number 5 out of 11 for torrent downloads! Not bad for the new
kid.

Not bad at all! Fedora 19 is an awesome release... I upgraded via yum
from F17 (since F18 didn't really go over very well). For me, this seems
like the least quirky and most reliable release since F13.

Its very quiet on this list at the moment, so tell us what you've been
doing with music! Fedora / Linux / recording etc etc

It's always quiet on the list. Good idea to start up discussion about,
you know, music!

Me, I've been trying to organize my many samples into sfz format for
use. Also found new interest in guitar (my new schecter rocks!)

Samples of what?

Mainly paid-for drumkit libraries and other free sample packs that don't come with sfz format already.

I'm no drummer, but have been studying drumming a lot lately to fill out
some triggered recordings. Would love to hear other peoples experience
in this area.

How are you "studying?" Are you taking lessons?

Not seriously - no lessons. Been mainly opening guitar pro files with tuxguitar and getting ideas from the drum tracks therein.

----

My current musical projects:

1.) Two "major research papers" toward the completion of my MA... almost
done!
Nice! May be over my head, but where can we read them?

2.) Rewriting---yet again---a music analysis program that's part of a
relatively large research project at McGill/Yale/MIT/Aberdeen/BBC. I'll
write more about this in the (sort of) near future.
Interesting! Please do

3.) Overhauling my website. I've decided it's not helping anybody that
my work isn't available anywhere, and although I wouldn't say that any
of my work is particularly valuable, it might be just the thing somebody
else is looking for.

4.) Making an SFZ file for the University of Iowa B-flat clarinet
samples, which I'll use along with the "Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra"
samples (for other instruments) in the next project.

I'm really interested to hear what people are doing with sfz format. On my journey I've developed a gedit plugin for a linuxsampler client (similar to the sc one), when I stop tinkering I will release it for general consumption.

5.) Synthesizing the start of the second movement of Brahms' third
symphony with Qtractor (and others), just to see how well it sounds with
FOSS software. With Vienna Symphonic Orchestra samples, frankly, it just
doesn't sound real.

6.) "Recomposing" that same symphony, based on contrapuntal analysis
results from the software in point (2) above, using SuperCollider.

7.) Learning Bach's BWV 857 prelude and fugue (F minor, Book 1 of
Well-Tempered Clavier), to prove that I can. Considering I don't even
really play piano, this was a bad idea, but now that I'm almost
finished, I can't give up.

That's it. Keep sharing, everybody! Do you have recordings of what
you're doing or have already done?

Wow, you are busy! What an interesting life you have with music. Very jealous