Re: WhySynth GUI not opening, although hostname is resolvable (OSC issue?)

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Christopher Antila <crantila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/15/2013 01:46 AM, Sean Beeson wrote:
> Christopher, Thanks for the input.
>
> I went to permissive, which I'll run in to lighten my computer's load
> anyway. Unfortunately, that didn't clear up the issue.

You mean, to reduce processor use? Do you notice any effect? I wouldn't
expect it would make a difference.

Christopher

I have no empirical proof, however on older slower systems I would get less x-runs putting it in promiscuous mode and the machine ran better using the rt-kernel. Many, a few years back, talked about the issue on PlanetCCRMA At Home's mailing list and concluded so. Back then turning off any unneeded service was common. IP Tables is one that takes up a lot of CPU time also, perhaps the most. On my current system I am able to do everything I need to do and haven't run into a need to reduce unneeded services, so I haven't turned off SELinux nor IP Tables. I normally run Fluxbox when doing music and audio also to run efficient as I can also. I am still running in Gnome 3 and everything is fine so far. I am only running Rosegarden with some external synths and once I start recording with Ardour and running some software synths I am sure I will need to start reducing other things that take up CPU and memory. I want to see how far I can go before I need to do that though.

Sean