Re: GSOC announced

On 02/15/2013 03:55 AM, Christopher Antila wrote:
<snip>

And finally, here's the idea Brendan inspired.

I think any packaging attempt is going to end badly because of our limited
resources, and the reality that well-maintained packages require periodic,
dedicated maintenance. Not to mention our "cross-distro" aspirations. But
there's a better way.

We could develop a web application that dynamically adjusts for distribution
choice and integrates multimedia content. We could host it on Red Hat
OpenShift. We could have the student develop an extension/module/something for
Publican that would generate this web app automatically from pre-existing
DocBook XML files. Obviously, this wouldn't be able to launch applications on a
desktop computer (yet).

But there are several important advantages:
- - developing for Publican is a significant coding project,
- - all DocBook-format documentation could be built into a web app,
- - it's cross-distribution,
- - it doesn't involve packaging (although Publican does already output RPM
packages of documentation).

I do think this is a really important idea, one that I'm sure would be hosted on http://linuxaudio.org/ if it ever came to fruition.

I repeat: this is something we can initiate outside of Fedora to benefit all

I will think more on this and float to the LAU list - if it gets some traction (meaning a mentor) I'll support it. For me, the number of packages I'm maintaining is huge, so not sure how much time I can commit to anything new on top of the audio spin. Busy much Chris?

I would like to see Jorns apps realize its potential though, I welcome contributors here. I have also been talking to the cowboy that is falktx, guy that is porting many windows VSTs as part of kxStudio, and the cadence app he is writing in python3 may very well overtake us here. Problem is Fedora is such a stickler when it comes to licensing.