Re: GSOC announced

On 02/14/2013 08:06 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well it could very well be a coding project. Think of "packaging" the
musicians guide with project files and sample templates. It could even be
interactive (ie. clicking on a link would launch said software with packaged
project file etc).

I'm thinking this is probably a project which other distro's could use as
well. I've been talking to the UbuntuStudio maintainer and he is keen to
link to our stuff as well, so perhaps we can float a project that requires
building and installing the docs + project files + samples in locations
defined by what you pass to the makefile. That's where the coding component
would come in - packaging is considered coding.

Here's what Len Ovens, one of the UbuntuStudio maintainers had to say about
the Musicians Guide:

"It is far more detailed than any of our documentation. A great job. It
certainly makes me realize how far I have to go in documenting things."

Seems like a shame to duplicate effort. I certainly have used the Arch Wiki
many times to obtain the perfect audio setup. Be great to have documentation
which is dynamic, interactive and that caters for different distro
peculiarities.

Yes ... once upon a time there was an audio project called AGNULA (A
GNU Linux for Audio or something of that ilk). It started before
Ubuntu forked Debian and came in two flavors - Debian (.deb) and Red
Hat (.rpm). I'd love to see some kind of distro-agnostic audio tool
set, along the lines of what I'm attempting to do for computational
journalism. That said, I've had to drop openSUSE and Mageia from my
target distros and focus on Fedora, Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
I do have to ask why?

The gotcha here is that students might find packaging boring, unless
the task somehow involves building tools for dealing with the
cross-distro issues. Along those lines, it's been a while since I
looked at the openSUSE "Open Build Service" tool set - maybe that
wheel's already been invented.

The $$$ from GSOC negates the boring aspect. So there will be candidates, choosing the right one is the hard part.

I'm happy to work with you to throw a distro-agnostic doc project in the air. As long as the student catches it and does all the hard work ;)