Re: GSOC announced

On 02/14/2013 01:37 AM, Christopher Antila wrote:

On 14 February 2013 00:01:20 M. Edward  Borasky wrote:
I'd start with the perennial "Why Linux Audio Sucks" threads that can
be found all over the web, and isolate projects that can be closed on
deadline during GSOC, then prioritze. ;-)

For what it's worth, I like the documentation project ideas - there's
too much "code" out there already.

I'm obviously supportive of any attempt to improve documentation of free
software, but we have to keep in mind that this is Google Summer of Code, and
they only want "code"-centred projects. When I wrote the Musicians' Guide, it
was part of Fedora Summer Coding, in a year when Google wasn't involved.

Well it could very well be a coding project. Think of "packaging" the musicians guide with project files and sample templates. It could even be interactive (ie. clicking on a link would launch said software with packaged project file etc).

I'm thinking this is probably a project which other distro's could use as well. I've been talking to the UbuntuStudio maintainer and he is keen to link to our stuff as well, so perhaps we can float a project that requires building and installing the docs + project files + samples in locations defined by what you pass to the makefile. That's where the coding component would come in - packaging is considered coding.

Here's what Len Ovens, one of the UbuntuStudio maintainers had to say about the Musicians Guide:

"It is far more detailed than any of our documentation. A great job. It
certainly makes me realize how far I have to go in documenting things."

Seems like a shame to duplicate effort. I certainly have used the Arch Wiki many times to obtain the perfect audio setup. Be great to have documentation which is dynamic, interactive and that caters for different distro peculiarities.

I pretty much know nothing about documentation. How does it work for Fedora, can you explain the workflow?

Also, I just noticed that---although I published it and it is technically
available---the Fedora 18 Musicians' Guide isn't properly listed in the menu
on Fedora's Documentation website. I'll see what I can do to fix that!

I did notice that. Thanks.