Re: GSOC announced

On 02/13/2013 08:15 PM, Klaatu wrote:
One thing I've always felt was lacking from Linux multimedia creation was a
sense of workflow that new users could latch onto. By this, I mean that I have
friends who want to start using things like QJackCtl, Qtractor, JSampler, etc,
but have no idea how they all fit together or what else they might want to
integrate into their setups (ie, Jack Rack, Jack Capture, Calf, etc)

I imagine KDE Activities could be perfect to guide users toward sensible
workflow setups. Or maybe more generic pseudo apps, like some shell scripts or
.desktop files, that would launch a bunch of applications that typically fit
together, would be nice.

Just a thought. Not entirely fleshed out but maybe it is an idea.

I haven't actually thought about KDE activities in this context to be honest.

There is also talk of the formulas idea that Kevin Fenzi and co put forth at FOSDEM. Basically a configuration layer that sits on top of the default setup (ie. outside of RPM)

Klaatu, I know you are across the technical side of publishing docs etc, do you think this kind of project will gain traction? I'm not sure.. I've tentatively put feelers out to ubuntu studio and they seem keen but noone wants to take ownership, happy to crosslink etc. Maybe a good idea for GSOC then?

<snip>