Re: Timidity/Rosegarden issues

On 13 December 2012 21:52, A. A. <aa1696@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to send this. If there's a better
> place where I can get help, please tell me.

This is a good place to start at least.

> I made a rosegarden project and exported it to a MIDI file. When I play this
> file with Timidity it sounds wrong- too much sustain on every single note.

Afraid I can't help with Timidity.

> The original file still sounds fine on Rosegarden though. I wanted to check
> whether the problem is in the exporting or in the playing (in Rosegarden or
> in Timidity) by importing the MIDI file to Rosegarden, but now when I open
> QJackCtl it stops immediately after I press "start", so I can't play
> anything with Rosegarden.

It sounds like something else, probably pulseaudio, is using the
soundcard (the output you posted also seems to show that). Can you try
adding this to 'Execute script on startup' in the QJackCtl setup menu,
options tab:
pulseaudio -k

> Another issue I had (when QJackCtl worked properly) was that Rosegarden
> constantly crashed every now and then.

What version of Fedora are you using? Also versions of Rosegarden,
QJackCtl and Jack would be useful, you can get these at the command
line:
rpm -q jack-audio-connection-kit qjackctl rosegarden4

It might be that not being in realtime mode is causing crashes, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit#Running_Jack_in_Realtime_mode
or it might just be a bug in your version of Rosegarden.

> Here's the output from QJackCtl, in case it's relevant:

Yes, this bit shows it trying to get control of the sound card (hw0)
and failing.

> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>
> control device hw:0
>
> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
> capture-only mode
>
> Cannot initialize driver
>
> JackServer::Open() failed with -1

Sanity check, do you have only one sound device connected? In QJackCtl
settings if you click the '>' button next to settings does it show
different audio devices?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk