Re: Spin Approval

On 5 December 2012 14:45, Christoph Wickert <cwickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.12.2012, 14:16 +0000 schrieb Ian Malone:
>
>> The general question of how a spin might be customised while still
>> staying within Fedora is perhaps something that needs to go to the
>> devel list.
>
> I agree, but this is more of a policy question. We had this topic
> already with other spins but most of the time we made exceptions (or
> not) and never really updated the policies. It's too late for this now
> either.

I was hoping it might produce some creative ideas, but it sounds like
that grounds already been covered then.

>> I do wonder if there's a systemd / seat based solution to this, will
>> raise that on the devel list.
>
> I think it's more of a polkit thing. If we only need to execute
> application foo with privileges of user/group bar, we could just ship a
> configuration file that allows users to run this application through
> pkexec.
>
> Bug again, I need more info in order to help you.

Okay, I think Brendan has answered the 'why'. I suspect what we need
to do is check what needs access to those groups. For real-time
privileges it may be that the plugins working with jack need them, or
it might be that just jack does. I'm not sure either what access the
audio group is used for, I think for Jack it may be priorities rather
than just the old purpose of access to audio devices (which pulse for
example now solves through the seat idea afaik). Will check the limits
file Brendan mentions when I get time.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk