Re: Spin Approval

On 5 December 2012 10:34, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 11:32 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:

>>> Hi Brendan,
>>>
>>> I'm afraid there is no really right way unless it gets configurable in
>>> firstboot.

>>> It's definitely too late for this release and I doubt such a patch would
>>> be accepted as it has no use case outside this spin.
>>

>> Fair enough

Well, maybe a way to add further configuration to firstboot might be
generically useful, but either way too late for this release, and
would need to be subject to translation etc. anyway.

>>> It is not considered safe in *any* package. You must not own or modify
>>> files that are owned by another package (unless of course your package
>>> is a configuration utility and the file in question is a config file)
>>> and if you absolutely have to, you have to do it in the inscript so that
>>> the changes only apply to the live system but don't end up on the
>>> installed system.
>>

>> I meant creating the group in %post (not editing a file owned by
>> firstboot). But the problem of assigning group membership still remains.
>>
>> Alternatively, we could package something which gets kicked off via
>> xdg/autostart that could detect this and request sudo priveledges to add
>> the X user to the group. All really messy and too late now.

The general question of how a spin might be customised while still
staying within Fedora is perhaps something that needs to go to the
devel list. I'll ask, I'm sure no-one there is at all busy right
now... ;)
Being able to do this is fairly important to a spin that aims to
present the best of audio tools to users. Plan B I suppose is a list
of post-install instructions on the wiki, but that doesn't really do
much for the stereotype of linux being a build-it-yourself system. It
may actually be damaging to release a spin that wasn't done right.

I do wonder if there's a systemd / seat based solution to this, will
raise that on the devel list.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk