Re: What Should I Consider

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Onyeibo Oku <twohot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm looking to set up a small recording rig for an organization and I
> want it running Fedora-Jam.  They want to be recording 45-1hr single-mic
> talk sessions as well as 8-16 mic/channel choral sessions.  The
> limitation is that they want a portable computer for the job -- a
> laptop.  A yamaha 16-channel Mixer board exists but some faders have
> become erratic.
>
> What should constitute the final gear?  i would appreciate suggestions
> on Laptop specs, USB/PCMIA capture cards, MIDI input equipment etc ... a
> collection that will tightly fit into the Linux Sound ecosystem. Does
> the Linux sound tools play well with USB interfaces?
>
> Please advise on the way forward.  Its a low-budget project
>
> Regards
> Onyeibo

The most important attribute of a laptop for audio / recording work is
ruggedness. I don't know how you'd go about evaluating that, but I'd
be really surprised if you could walk into Best Buy, get an
inexpensive Windows laptop, dual-boot it with Fedora and have
something rugged enough to handle mission-critical recording studio
duty.

When you say "low budget", I cringe. I spent $600 on my Asus laptop
with 8 GB of RAM and a Core i5 "Sandy Bridge" processor. It runs VMs
fine, it's dual-booted Windows 7 and Fedora 18 "pre-beta" and it
works, but I wouldn't want to show up at a gig with it.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?