Re: What Should I Consider

On 11/10/2012 10:56 PM, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
Hi people,

I'm looking to set up a small recording rig for an organization and I
want it running Fedora-Jam.  They want to be recording 45-1hr single-mic
talk sessions as well as 8-16 mic/channel choral sessions.  The
limitation is that they want a portable computer for the job -- a
laptop.  A yamaha 16-channel Mixer board exists but some faders have
become erratic.

What should constitute the final gear?  i would appreciate suggestions
on Laptop specs, USB/PCMIA capture cards, MIDI input equipment etc ... a
collection that will tightly fit into the Linux Sound ecosystem. Does
the Linux sound tools play well with USB interfaces?

Please advise on the way forward.  Its a low-budget project

There are plenty of USB audio devices available. Pretty much any USB class compliant audio device will work with ALSA (although not all are class compliant).

You can find a list of devices and their support state in ALSA here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

One with pictures which is out of date:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/current_audio_gear

I'd suggest floating this list on the Linux Audio User list. There are a number of people doing exactly what you are requiring on a professional basis.