Re: A quick spin vox-pop

On 30 October 2012 18:58, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One suggestion about the spin
>
> Since it's KDE, there is no need to use pulseaudio. One elegant
> alternative would be to exclude pulseaudio and include alsa-jack-plugin
> providing a system wide alsa configuration (/etc/asound.conf) like this:
>
> pcm.rawjack {
>     type jack
>     playback_ports {
>         0 system:playback_1
>         1 system:playback_2
>     }
>     capture_ports {
>         0 system:capture_1
>         1 system:capture_2
>     }
> }
>
> pcm.jack {
>     type plug
>     slave { pcm "rawjack" }
>     hint {
>         description "JACK Audio Connection Kit"
>     }
> }
>
> pcm.!default {
>     type plug
>     slave { pcm "rawjack" }
> }

I'd advise against removing pulse if we can help it:
1. In the past (pre-pulse) I used to try various dmix (alsa) solutions
to get multi-application sound working. It's actually quite difficult
to get it working right, especially once things get into different
sample rates. Maybe this is better using jack as suggested, but lots
of the people working on this wont be using this as their desktop
which means fewer eyes on the setup we're asking others to use. Moving
us neatly on to:
2. The spin isn't the sole purpose of audio creation/music list, it's
(I think) "Creating high quality packages of music / audio
applications, tools and libraries." Fedora's default sound platform is
Pulse. If we can't get that integrated well with Jack and a
professional audio environment then we'll be making things more
difficult for users who want to use this stuff. The first advice to
them will always be 'rip out pulse'. And on that note:
3. Pulse is actually one of the best things to happen to linux audio
in the last decade. (Others are Jack and the steady improvement of
drivers in ALSA.) I remember manually setting devices in every
application, having to go around pkill-ing things to try and find what
was holding the soundcard and, as above, playing with odd partial
solutions. It was very painful in the early days, there are still
problems with its integration (mixers is my favourite) and it now
takes the flack as the application that's holding the sound device
when non-aware programs try to use it.

Of course if it really is impossible to overcome we might have to
consider it to make the spin plug-and-play. Hopefully Jørn's control
application will go some way to doing that though.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk