Re: Where is the kickstart file for the audio spin?

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 11:57 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:

>>> I mean really? If we only include a shortcut to the guide in the
>>> spin(ie. not package it), can we leave the CCRMA repo instructions in
>>> with a massive disclaimer? I for one would not be using Fedora if it
>>> wasn't for CCRMA and I know a lot of others feel the same way.
>>

>> This isn't related to Fedora Jam. Official Fedora documentation is not
>> supposed
>> to endorse or have instructions for third-party software repositories.
>> That's why,
>> for example, the instructions to install Adobe Flash or MP3 support are on
>> the
>> wiki, and not in the User Guide.
>>
>> The justification here is simple: we can't support software we don't
>> provide. You
>> can't report a bug for the nvidia drivers on the Red Hat Bugzilla; they'll
>> ask you
>> to report it to RPM Fusion, who will probably ask you to report it to
>> nvidia, who
>> will probably say "too bad." We don't want to appear to support somebody
>> else's
>> software when we actually can't.
>>
>> In this instance, the software in Planet CCRMA at Home is also FOSS
>> software,
>> so I made myself an exception without asking anybody. The fact remains,
>> this
>> content should not be in the Guide, and as soon as I can remove it, I
>> will.
>>
>> Now that we have Qtractor, there's no need for RPM Fusion. When we
>> hopefully
>> one day have a compelling alternative for all the Planet CCRMA software,
>> there's
>> no need for that documentation, and I'll take it out too. I might change
>> my mind
>> later (not for Fedora 18), but as long as Fedora doesn't offer a realtime
>> kernel,
>> the Musicians' Guide will retain instructions to use the kernel from
>> CCRMA.
>

> Yeah sure, I understand the reasons and the policy, and I was probably a bit
> hasty in my post. Having said that, I really don't think anyone will notice
> - the disclaimer is a must though, legally. If anyone has a real problem
> they will raise it with us.
>
> The bureaucracy does shit me to tears sometimes though. Apart from CCRMA's
> kernel there is only the *sampler packages which can never be in Fedora, and
> that's fine.
>
> Brendan

Really, though, the only things in Planet CCRMA I care about are the
Common Lisp group, Pure Data and SuperCollider. They have a slightly
newer version of Faust than Fedora 17 does, but I suspect that's easy
to fix. I'm strictly a studio musician. I don't do live coding /
performance or integrate with music hardware, so I haven't needed the
real-time kernel.

Maybe there's really two different respins required - one for live
coding / performance / hardware with the real-time kernel, ALSA/Jack,
ChucK, IanniX, LuaAV, Impro-Visor, Pure Data and a stripped desktop
(LXDE-Openbox or RazorQT), and a studio musicians' respin that looks
like what I'm building, including all the algorithmic composition
stuff.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?