Re: Where is the kickstart file for the audio spin?

On 09/05/2012 11:57 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:

On 5 September 2012 08:19:26 Brendan Jones wrote:
On 09/03/2012 07:37 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:
On 3 September 2012 08:16:02 Brendan Jones wrote:
Having said that, there's obviously some projects which cannot be
including due to Fedora's licensing restrictions, but that can be
mitigated to a certain extent by promoting the Fedora Musicians guide
which has very clear instructions on how to enable CCRMA and RPMFusion.

The Musicians' Guide does do this, but it is absolutely not supposed to. Glad
that you reminded me though, because I can remove any reference to RPM
Fusion, since it was only needed for Qtractor.

I mean really? If we only include a shortcut to the guide in the
spin(ie. not package it), can we leave the CCRMA repo instructions in
with a massive disclaimer? I for one would not be using Fedora if it
wasn't for CCRMA and I know a lot of others feel the same way.

This isn't related to Fedora Jam. Official Fedora documentation is not supposed
to endorse or have instructions for third-party software repositories. That's why,
for example, the instructions to install Adobe Flash or MP3 support are on the
wiki, and not in the User Guide.

The justification here is simple: we can't support software we don't provide. You
can't report a bug for the nvidia drivers on the Red Hat Bugzilla; they'll ask you
to report it to RPM Fusion, who will probably ask you to report it to nvidia, who
will probably say "too bad." We don't want to appear to support somebody else's
software when we actually can't.

In this instance, the software in Planet CCRMA at Home is also FOSS software,
so I made myself an exception without asking anybody. The fact remains, this
content should not be in the Guide, and as soon as I can remove it, I will.

Now that we have Qtractor, there's no need for RPM Fusion. When we hopefully
one day have a compelling alternative for all the Planet CCRMA software, there's
no need for that documentation, and I'll take it out too. I might change my mind
later (not for Fedora 18), but as long as Fedora doesn't offer a realtime kernel,
the Musicians' Guide will retain instructions to use the kernel from CCRMA.

Yeah sure, I understand the reasons and the policy, and I was probably a bit hasty in my post. Having said that, I really don't think anyone will notice - the disclaimer is a must though, legally. If anyone has a real problem they will raise it with us.

The bureaucracy does shit me to tears sometimes though. Apart from CCRMA's kernel there is only the *sampler packages which can never be in Fedora, and that's fine.

Brendan