Re: Fedora Jam Spin in the Release Notes

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Jørn Lomax <northlomax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/04/2012 08:08 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Brendan Jones
>> <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That's a really good question. At the moment without different themes all
>>> we
>>> have is a threadirq enabled Fedora with almost all of the audio packages.
>>> IT
>>> is almost impossible to have a working audio distro out of the box when
>>> so
>>> much configuration is required on the hardware side. If it was easy to do
>>> it
>>> would have been done already ;)
>>>
>>> kxstudio packages things which are really not meant to be packaged and
>>> also
>>> have exclusive access to the TAL-* plugin source code and ships them as
>>> binaries (maybe I should just contact the author myself). kxstudio also
>>> packages and releases software against upstreams wishes which is
>>> something I
>>> won't do (examples are Ardour 3 and Ingen). I've been promised a release
>>> of
>>> Ingen by the end of Septmeber and already have all the dependencies in
>>> place, but we will see. I'm not going to nag upstream about that or we'll
>>> never see it.
>>>
>>> The maintainer of AV Linux just threw the towel in (it was 32bit only
>>> anyway) so we may pick up some people exiting there.
>>

>> I'm not convinced 64Studio is moving forward either, and the
>> openSUSE-based JAD (Jack Audio Distribution) died a few years ago.
>> It's down to "us" and Ubuntu Studio at this point, I suspect. I picked
>> Fedora over Ubuntu primarily because of the Stanford / Planet CCRMA
>> "native" Lisp tool chain - Common Music, Common Lisp Music, Common
>> Music Notation and SND. Everything else works pretty much the same on
>> any Linux and has the same intellectual property gotchas on any Linux.

>> Are you trying to say, 'the "jackuser" group is there and "liveuser"
>> is a member?'
>

> If the spins is approved as is, both the liveuser and the user craeted on
> install will belong to both the jackuser and audio group. The liveuser is
> pretty much sure to be OK, but to make the created user belong to them uses
> a very ugly hack and might not be approved

That's no big deal; most of the time I end up having to add myself to
the vboxusers group anyhow. The biggest annoyance is having to log out
and back in again. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?