Re: Fedora Jam Spin in the Release Notes

On 09/04/2012 08:08 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/03/2012 07:16 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:

We have a "Musicians" beat under the "What's New in Fedora for Specific
Audiences"
category, but I'm not sure what to say. Why would musicians choose Fedora
Jam over
regular Fedora? Or over, say, kxstudio?

That's a really good question. At the moment without different themes all we
have is a threadirq enabled Fedora with almost all of the audio packages. IT
is almost impossible to have a working audio distro out of the box when so
much configuration is required on the hardware side. If it was easy to do it
would have been done already ;)

kxstudio packages things which are really not meant to be packaged and also
have exclusive access to the TAL-* plugin source code and ships them as
binaries (maybe I should just contact the author myself). kxstudio also
packages and releases software against upstreams wishes which is something I
won't do (examples are Ardour 3 and Ingen). I've been promised a release of
Ingen by the end of Septmeber and already have all the dependencies in
place, but we will see. I'm not going to nag upstream about that or we'll
never see it.

The maintainer of AV Linux just threw the towel in (it was 32bit only
anyway) so we may pick up some people exiting there.

I'm not convinced 64Studio is moving forward either, and the
openSUSE-based JAD (Jack Audio Distribution) died a few years ago.
It's down to "us" and Ubuntu Studio at this point, I suspect. I picked
Fedora over Ubuntu primarily because of the Stanford / Planet CCRMA
"native" Lisp tool chain - Common Music, Common Lisp Music, Common
Music Notation and SND. Everything else works pretty much the same on
any Linux and has the same intellectual property gotchas on any Linux.
- - - JACK installed and enabled/integrated by default (what's the best
word?)

Are you trying to say, 'the "jackuser" group is there and "liveuser"
is a member?'

If the spins is approved as is, both the liveuser and the user craeted on install will belong to both the jackuser and audio group. The liveuser is pretty much sure to be OK, but to make the created user belong to them uses a very ugly hack and might not be approved

Rosegarden also wants the "snd-seq-midi" kernel module loaded when it comes up.

- - can run audio-optimized OS without installing it (theoretically)
- - - features the "latest and greatest" FOSS audio software
- - - SuperCollider and PureData are moved from PlanetCCRMA to Fedora
proper

Soon I hope.

And a free-as-in-freedom Qtractor moved from RPMFusion? ;-)

--
Jørn Lomax
CS student University of Tromsø