Re: Theming for Fedora Jam

On 08/14/2012 12:50 PM, Jørn Lomax wrote:
Now that most of the technicalities and packages of the spin are in
place, we should start looking at theming and usability. I have no
knowledge of KDE and what people like, so this is where we need help.

On the git repository we know have a theme package[1]. Play around with
this and see what you like. To try it out, copy the directory, make
changes to the file run make && make install. Then you can see what your
theme looks like. We also need to know if we should add an extra panel
to KDE, what apps we should have easy access too etc.

We want as much feedback as possible so that we can find out what works
best for most people.

[1]http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/music-creation.git/tree/fedora-jam-kde-theme/src

Just a few notes to add to Jørn's post:

I have chosen the Oxygen theme as the default in the kickstart. The one in the git repo is just a copy of the beefy-miracle-desktop-theme package with the name simply sed'd out - ideally we will have the theme point to the Fedora Jam desktop package

Do we want to go against the fedault Fedora KDE layout and add an extra panel? Ie. as a placeholder to commonly used applications - qjackctl, qtractor, ardour, rosegarden etc ....

When I was asked to do an interview I supplied a screenshot of my system - the colours you see here are based on the kxstudio KDE theme but in the end I found it too dark - I do like the plasm panel background though, oxygen is similar (but not quite as dark).
You can see it here: http://bsjones.fedorapeople.org/fedora-linux-audio.png

Another way to create your own theme is to select one and edit it - you can then export it as a zip file. When you want to install it you can simply unzip it into /usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/

To see what files make up the current beefy-miracle-de-theme package simply: rpm -ql beefy-miracle-kde-theme

This is a full theme package including splash screen, desktop theme, and animated icons on login (yes we can change these too)

This is a really good opportunity for people who have always wanted to contribute but don't have the time, desire or skillset to do packaging. IMHO this is just as important.

I think its really important that the spin makes a really good first impression - otherwise what do we have? A default KDE install with a few audio packages thrown in. We can do better than that

Come on people!

Brendan