Re: Bugs/Changes/Ideas

On 07/12/2012 05:44 AM, Brian Monroe wrote:
 5. Again along the same lines, we should change the default "Favorites"
    in Kickoff to represent what we're trying to accomplish with our
    spin. I don't think it has to all be music related, but at least
    have a couple of music things in there.
 6. Likewise, I thnk the Program Catagories under the KDE launcher
    (Kickoff I think they call it) are poorly labled. Under Mixers,
    there's Rackarack (effects) and in the main multimedia group there
    are a bunch of mixer programs. (!?!?!?!) I tihnk it would be wise
    for us to get a new sub section we can throw programs into (Maybe
    titled ProAudio?) There's too much that can fall under MultiMedia
    (Everything from DAWs to Effects, to Video Player and to Programs
    that burn ISOs.) It's too much. Techically Graphics could have been
    under Multimedia, but they must have made their own group at some
    point. I think it's time for us to do the same. I was going to list
    some things that I think are out of place but the list grew to large
    so I'll make a sublist here of things I think are in odd places.
     1. LillyPond shouldn't be under utilities with all the other system
        tools.
     2. echomixer should be under mixers
     3. Rakarrack shouldn't be under mixers
     4. I just noticed the "Creation" folder under multi-media. I think
        that should be moved out of there and changed into our new group.
     5. There's a lot of Config programs for LASH, ALSA, HDSP, ect that
        should be put into their own folder.

Thanks for the feedback Brian - this is great.

The menu hierarchy is derived from the Categories: section of the .desktop file, hence some overlap/incorrect placement in some menus. To address this we should raise bugs against the package in question, and have the maintainer alter the categories accordingly. Suggesting the correct category would be ideal here (the maintainer may have no idea which one to choose for it to appear in which menu).

To determine this I've attached the menu file which describes how packages are currently grouped.

Brendan

Applications Multimedia AudioVideo Audio Video Capture and Import multimedia-capture-and-import.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-AudioVideoImport X-AudioVideoCapture Recorder Creation multimedia-creation.directory Digital Processing multimedia-digital-processing.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-DigitalProcessing X-Synthesis Editors multimedia-editors.directory AudioVideo Audio Video AudioVideoEditing Jack multimedia-jack.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-Jack X-DigitalProcessing X-Synthesis MIDI multimedia-midi.directory AudioVideo Audio Video Midi X-Digital_Processing X-Synthesis Sequencer multimedia-sequencer.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-Multitrack Sequencer X-Trackers Notation multimedia-notation.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-Notation Mixer multimedia-mixer.directory AudioVideo Audio Video Mixer Output Generation multimedia-output-generation.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-OutputGeneration DiscBurning X-Streamer X-SubtitleEditor Tools multimedia-tools.directory AudioVideo Audio Video X-AudioVideoTools Tuner X-AudioVideoImport X-AudioVideoCapture Recorder X-DigitalProcessing X-Synthesis AudioVideoEditing X-Jack Midi X-Multitrack Sequencer X-Trackers X-Notation Mixer X-OutputGeneration DiscBurning X-Streamer X-SubtitleEditor X-AudioVideoTools Tuner