Re: Primary software list is "complete"

Hi:

On Wednesday 04 July 2012 07:52:15 Brendan Jones wrote:

> You could try adding the link to the musicians guide (see example in my
> last kickstarts mail).
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Musicians_Guide/index.ht
> ml. If you set the desktop Categories correctly you can make it sit in the
>  Multimedia menu with all our other apps.
>
> Chris: there's no Fedora 17 link. I'm not sure how the docs work.

I didn't publish the Musicians' Guide for Fedora 17 because it's out of date.
There's a general trend in Docs where, if a Guide isn't updated for a particular
release, it's not published... I guess to point out the fact a user would be
consulting something old.

As for packaging and including it with the release, I know I've posted about it
previously, but some things have changed:

1.) We could easily justify an override of the "code not content" guideline.

2.) For Fedora 18, Docs will publish everything by building RPMs in koji, which
the web server will download and install onto itself. This is possible because
our documentation-building tools (called "Publican") can build a source RPM at
the flick of a switch.

3.) The web server's RPMs would be different from what we'd include with live
media, so it's still an extra step. But it's a small extra step--if I'm going to
figure out RPMs anyway, figuring out two slightly different ones isn't a big deal.

4.) Correct me if I misunderstand, but it seems the biggest advantage of the
Guide on the live media is not having to download the tutorial files. That makes
sense, but the largest set of files--and the only set I want to keep in the long
term--is for Ardour. They're copyrighted with CC-NC-SA, so we can't upload them
to an official Fedora Project server (currently they're on Soundcloud). If the
point is actually to have the documentation on the live media, we could craft a
"no-media-files" branch to reduce the space it would take.

PLUG:
If anybody is willing to volunteer an hour or two, to help point out exactly
what needs to be updated in the Guide and how, I'd greatly appreciate it!

List of Potential Changes:
- the LilyPond chapter uses Frescobaldi 1.x
- Qtractor has been updated significantly
- the "real time" portion could use a rewrite
- will we get supercollider into the Fedora repository?
- all the NEW or ASSIGNED bugs on Bugzilla[0]

No single task is large, but collectively it's too much for me. You can even
become famous by having your name listed in the "Contributors" appendix![1]

Christopher.

[0] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=musicians-
guide&product=Fedora%20Documentation&list_id=247577

[1] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Musicians_Guide/appe-
Musicians_Guide-Contributors.html