Re: Spin/kickstart details that need defining

Hi:

On 13 June 2012 13:40:35 Brendan Jones wrote:
> Hi Jorn
>
> saw your email to the spins list - that's great. Also good to know that
> our conservative estimate for the review deadline was exactly that - we
> have 3 more weeks than we bargained for.
>
> I just wanted to list a few items that need clarification from the Spins
> team that are really outside my knowledge:
>
> 1 kernel parameters ( threadirqs in our case) how (can?) we add them to
> the Live system and on install?
>
> 2 is it possible to modify sysconfig files in / owned by other packages?
> - ie. changing the default values in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf or
> /etc/pulse/default.pa might be advantageous.
>
> 3 is it possible to change/set config items in /home/<installed_user> ?
> (e.g. /home/<user/.pulse - which would be a solution if (2) is not
>  possible)
>
> 4 adding items to /etc/xdg/autostart (to autostart apps by default for
> all users).
>
> 5 (related to #4) can we drop files into ~/.config/autostart as part of
> the install process for the default user?
>
> 6 and which if any of these things can we do for the Live user?
>
> The autostart questions arise from me considering having a DBUS enabled
> qjackctl launch on login, configured to autostart jack (this requires
> modifying the users qjackctl settings in $HOME). Pulseaudio shold
> release the device and bridging should just work with the
> module-jackdbus-detect, although I'm finding it a bit flaky here. Of
> course none of this addresses selecting the default audio device etc etc.

It's touch-and-go for me too. I can do it on my laptop, but not my desktop.
Either way, poorly functioning software isn't really our concern. This is
Fedora, where we release things before they're 100% stable, so our users can
help with testing and reporting bugs.

I know it's annoying sometimes, but it's part of the Fedora Project
philosophy.

Once we get the Fedora Audio Spin up and running, maybe, hopefully, we can
provide the necessary packages for CentOS 7 when it's released, and that will
be stable and happy.

> I'm sure more questions will come up - I'm really just thinking out
> loud. If for example none of these things are possible, we really would
> have to develop a standard alone app to configure this stuff with the
> user interactively.

I believe a stand-alone configuration app should be on our horizon no matter
what. If the kxstudio 'cadence' app works, at least... otherwise we should do
it eventually.

People disagree about what "choice" means in relation to open-source software.
At minimum, our technical notes for the release should specify which non-
default settings the Spin uses; ideally, we'll also have an easy way for users
to change those settings to whatever they wish.

> Anyway, food for thought.
>
> Brendan
>
> PS. I will get kxstudio cadence up to my repo soon.
> PPS. I think I'll forward this to the music list

The more stuff that gets on the list, the better. Also, the more opinions, the
better. That means you, people!

Christopher.