Spin/kickstart details that need defining

Hi Jorn

saw your email to the spins list - that's great. Also good to know that our conservative estimate for the review deadline was exactly that - we have 3 more weeks than we bargained for.

I just wanted to list a few items that need clarification from the Spins team that are really outside my knowledge:

1 kernel parameters ( threadirqs in our case) how (can?) we add them to the Live system and on install?

2 is it possible to modify sysconfig files in / owned by other packages? - ie. changing the default values in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf or /etc/pulse/default.pa might be advantageous.

3 is it possible to change/set config items in /home/<installed_user> ? (e.g. /home/<user/.pulse - which would be a solution if (2) is not possible)

4 adding items to /etc/xdg/autostart (to autostart apps by default for all users).

5 (related to #4) can we drop files into ~/.config/autostart as part of the install process for the default user?

6 and which if any of these things can we do for the Live user?

The autostart questions arise from me considering having a DBUS enabled qjackctl launch on login, configured to autostart jack (this requires modifying the users qjackctl settings in $HOME). Pulseaudio shold release the device and bridging should just work with the module-jackdbus-detect, although I'm finding it a bit flaky here. Of course none of this addresses selecting the default audio device etc etc.

I'm sure more questions will come up - I'm really just thinking out loud. If for example none of these things are possible, we really would have to develop a standard alone app to configure this stuff with the user interactively.

Anyway, food for thought.

Brendan

PS. I will get kxstudio cadence up to my repo soon.
PPS. I think I'll forward this to the music list