Re: Audio spin media

Firstly, I wish I had responded sooner, but I went on an unexpectedly sudden "vacation."

On 05/25/2012 06:37 AM, Jørn Lomax wrote:

I have to say i agree with Brendon. I don't think there is anything
wrong by not making the spin fit onto a CD. If you have a computer that
is capable of running realtime audio processing, chances are that you
have a DVD drive. I actually find it hard to even find blank CDs in the
store, so I always en up using a DVD as media (more often usb now).

But what i think is the best solution is to first create a spin that is
focused on the user experience. Make sure it's simple, intuitive, is
easy to use and has the software we all feel it needs in there. For all
we know, it might actually fit onto a CD while still meeting those
criteria. Once we have done that, we can look at it and see, "what can
we drop", or "does it need more", all depending in it's size. But i
think the user experience should come first. But yes, *one* version :)

That's my two cents at least
Secondly, this isn't about us. Well, it's sort of about us. Here's the deal. If we want to make a spin that's intended for real-time audio, then that means two things to me: (1) the size of the download doesn't matter because we're targeting relatively high-performance computers, and (2) we should say this very clearly on our Spin homepage.

Ultimately, it's Jørn's decision what to do with the Spin. For me, it's very difficult to choose something that might exclude somebody. Certainly this isn't about "fitting on a CD" but about "being as small as possible." On the other hand, if you want to download The Spin, you're going get it either way... people probably download Windows(TM!!!!) illegally, and that almost certainly doesn't fit onto a single CD.

Please keep the discussion of which desktop environment we need going. I
think this is something we should settle on soon. I'm a partial to gnome
and xfce (I actually love gnome 3). But i do see the argument that most
applications use Qt. Is there a distro where i can try razor Qt?

There's a repository of Razor Qt packages for Fedora 16.[0] This desktop isn't officially in Fedora, and we'd have to get everything into Fedora if we want to use it. Is it worth it for The Spin? I'm not so sure... this is still under development, as far as I can tell!

Also, I'm glad somebody is willing to say they like GNOME 3. I don't use GNOME, so I haven't thoroughly tried GNOME 3, but it looks very spiffy. I tried to incorporate some of the design changes with my thoroughly-idiosyncratic KDE setup (like eliminating distractions). Lo and behold, I actually concentrate better.

Christopher.

[0] http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/QtDesktop/Fedora_16/X11:QtDesktop.repo

P.S. Just in case anybody cares, this email is definitely not cryptographically signed. Sorry!