Re: Audio spin media

On 25/05/2012 15:12, Ian Malone wrote:
On 25 May 2012 11:37, Jørn Lomax<northlomax@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 22:19 -0400, Christopher R. Antila wrote:
On 05/24/2012 09:25 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:

Jorn's posts this week have got me thinking about what we should
be aiming for in terms of install media. As others have noted
before a CD sized spin is kind of outdated, and I wondered whether
we were in fact bound by this. So I raised it with releng on IRC
and we are not.
Thinking is dangerous. That's why we do it!

In light of this I propose that we abandon the idea of a 'lite'
spin complemented by a larger DVD version, and just focus on one
Live image.

So... let's have only one version, make it as small as possible, and
certainly ensure it fits on one CD! This obviously means we won't have
many applications installed by default, but I don't see that as a
problem for two reasons:
1.) the applications aren't the reason for the Spin, it's the integration.
2.) I don't know about you, but I don't use everything we've been
thinking of putting on the spin, so why should everybody have to
download everything?

Again, it's about access for everybody. Sure thing my computer can run
GNOME 3 and KDE-based applications at the same time while still making
good-quality recordings, but not everybody has my computer.

And while I'm at it, what are we going to call this thing? Fedora
(Audio) studio / Fedora Audio / Free Audio (I'm reaching now)
Let's call it "The Spin." It sounds misguidedly epic.

I have to say i agree with Brendon. I don't think there is anything
wrong by not making the spin fit onto a CD. If you have a computer that
is capable of running realtime audio processing, chances are that you
have a DVD drive. I actually find it hard to even find blank CDs in the
store, so I always en up using a DVD as media (more often usb now).

So, is a key goal to produce a realtime audio platform? If it's not
then basing everything else on that requirement might result in other
people being unable to use it (and one default audience for FOSS is
people who for whatever reason don't have access to high-spec
systems). On the other hand, if that is a goal then the assumption is
fine. Though your actual point (DVD drives are a much lower bar than
RT audio) still stands I think.

DVD vs CD has arguments on both sides anyway, are you more likely to
have good net access (and be able to get packages that might be left
off CD) or a DVD drive (and maybe not need net access)?

But what i think is the best solution is to first create a spin that is
focused on the user experience. Make sure it's simple, intuitive, is
easy to use and has the software we all feel it needs in there. For all
we know, it might actually fit onto a CD while still meeting those
criteria. Once we have done that, we can look at it and see, "what can
we drop", or "does it need more", all depending in it's size. But i
think the user experience should come first. But yes, *one* version :)

This sounds sensible. I think one thing to be said for limiting the
size is that the discipline it imposes might help user experience. If
you don't then there's a danger of sliding into a kitchen-sink
approach, and then you can end up with task X is covered by
application A,  task Y by app B and task Z by apps C, D and E. If
that's not an option then you have to tackle making things work
together better. This is the thing Ubuntu did very well when they
started.

As a compulsive distro hopper, I have seen many "kitchen sink" distros (ubuntu ultimate edition, sabayon etc.) and I do *not* want to go anywhere near that. I think the way Linux mint does it is very good. The ISO is around 800MB, but it doesn't feel bloated(some would disagree) and I think it would loose some of it's appeal if they were do remove a feature or two just to make it 100MB smaller.