Re: Google Summer of Code [was: Thoughts on spin tools]

On 03/21/2012 04:38 AM, Christopher R. Antila wrote:

Hi:

On 03/20/2012 03:13 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
On 03/20/2012 12:49 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

I do think we should carry this back to the fedora-music-list - ideally
it gets more attention because we need to spread the word, fast. If you
agree, you can reply back to the list.

(Thanks Karsten I have forwarded to the list)

Fedora has been accepted as a Google Summer of Code Project. We have
added the Fedora Audio Spin as an idea [1]. At this stage the idea only
outlines a packaging role(s), but I have been discussing with Karsten
and Fernando that it might be a good idea that we expand on the role to
cover all aspects of the project, not just packaging and technical
issues (see above).
Great idea! Fedora Summer Coding is how I got started. Not only do we
now have the Musicians' Guide, but the personal and professional growth
has been important for me.

That's great to know. I'd bee very interested to hear about your experience with the Musicians guide, in particular what worked really well, and what you found to be frustrating and/or difficult.

I think this could be a really good opportunity to provide the Audio
Spin with a formal process and some much need momentum.

Here's what I think we need to start discussing:

*  how can we expand upon the role. We are not limited to one idea here.
We could create a new one to cover other aspects of the project. Tasks
that will need coordinating down the track are:
    - documentation / wiki's / musician's guide / community wrangling
    - testing the kick starts
    - pushing the spin through the acceptance process

* how can we promote the idea to students. What mailing lists, webblogs,
forums etc can we use to attract students to the task (I have been
approached by one site for an interview already - this kind of thing if
we can get it out quick enough)
One way: make sure students on the mailing list see this notice. I've
already started telling my friends!

* potential mentors. Not just technical here, if we create further roles
we will need to co-mentor those as well
I'm up for co-mentoring.

Fantastic!

* anything else? this is just a start

I will have some time a little later in the week to go over this in more
detail, just wanted to start the ball rolling. We have a week until we
start receiving student submissions.

Brendan

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Fedora_Audio_Creation_Spin