Re: Thoughts on spin tools

On 03/05/2012 11:17 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

On 03/03/2012 02:46 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
Hi all,

I been thinking about what we need to do differentiate the audio
spin from a just a collection of audio packages in addition to the
spins we already have.

We really need some kind of UI or set of tools which tries to tie
everything together, allowing for the coexistence of
jack/pulseaudio (or not), multiple sound device configurations and
context switching between audio and normal desktop use. I've
mapping out such an application and in my travels have come across
laditools [1] and kxstudio's cadence [2]. Good to see that there
have been some recent efforts in this area. Perhaps we can leverage
of these.

May I suggest you post any resulting idea(s) for students to consider
for Google Summer of Code? (We're applying by this Friday, so sooner
the better.)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012

An idea can be e.g. getting tools packaged, dealing with dependencies,
pushing patches to the upstream, and tying it all together neatly for
the spin. If it's a large workload for one student over the summer,
split it up in to two or more ideas.

You don't have to be an expert in the technologies involved, you just
have to be good at connecting your student to people and resources to
get things done.

You might be able to find a co-mentor who has the knowledge to create
your ideas but doesn't have the time, so can have the students get
things moving along or completed.

If Fedora gets a GSoC slot, then any energy you put in before the
student proposal deadline to publicizing the ideas (e.g. to Stanford
students ;D ) increases the quantity and quality of student applications.

Cheers - Karsten

Good idea Karsten. I've posted a draft idea on the wiki [1]. Encourage people to comment/review/edit and suggest other tasks as necessary. Is this all that is required at this stage?

So this is a call out to mentors to register their interested on the same page as well.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Fedora_Audio_Creation_Spin