Re: Call to arms - Fedora Audio Spin

On 02/21/2012 03:07 PM, Kyrian wrote:
> Just been taking a metaphorical chainsaw to my inbox and got
> through to the Fedora Music list at long last.
Metaphorical chainsaws are generally much safer than real ones.

> - Couldn't this lot be done as a yum 'Group' or several? With that
> then incorporated into the standard installer environment?
Good idea! And, without much knowledge of how packaging works, I don't
think your other thoughts below pose a problem. Most importantly, I
don't think a yum Group would make a Spin irrelevant. When you come
right down to it, the Spin is a marketing tool to say "we're Fedora
and we're ready for action!"

> - Every person who's into pro audio that I mention about Linux
> audio says "ah, but will it accomodate my XYZ plugins/filters from
> a.n.other windows app"? As far as I know the answer is usually
> "yes", but I hope that's documented in wherever the docs are.
Nope.

> I'll gladly put in such time as I can find to make this happen, and
> if necessary to get it documented as well, because I want to start
> using all my kit properly through Linux, with the minimum of fuss
> (there was a lot of fuss the last time I had a go, in spite of
> PlanetCCRMA and other's best efforts...), help other people at the
> same time, but perhaps mainly, get some distractions from my day
> job which involves Linux too.
It seems like two things help avoid fuss:
1.) Bug-testing
2.) Documentation

As Brendan said, most of the work is probably not directly involved
with packaging/compiling/composing the Spin. For small communities
like ours, responsible testers are very important.

It's kind of strange when you think about it, but one of the most
helpful things is to just use the available software, and to report
bugs when you find them. With a particular emphasis on testing
packages new to the updates-testing repository. And when something
either doesn't work or doesn't work easily, then say so: file a bug
against the software or the documentation. Maybe it's an upstream
problem, but the Fedora policy is to start in the Red Hat Bugzilla.

Contributing to documentation is easier than you might think. If
you're serious about it, go ahead and join the Docs
Project--everybody's very helpful. But if you just want to write about
something (like audio plug-ins!) without committing to learning all
the tools, do this:
1.) Write about it.
2.) File a new bug in Bugzilla against the Musicians' Guide.
3.) Attach the new section you wrote.
4.) Receive comments and revise if necessary.
5.) Watch it get published in the next release.

Also, you could try testing the documentation. I wrote most of the
procedures with Fedora 13, about Fedora 14. Do they still work? I
don't know. But I discovered lots of *software* bugs along the way, too.

Welcome to the team!

Christopher.