Re: Default Desktop Environment

On 02/11/2012 06:53 PM, Nikos Roussos wrote:
On Feb 11, 2012 6:05 PM, "Orcan Ogetbil" <oget.fedora@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oget.fedora@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 > On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
 > > Hi all,
 > >
 > > I've been thinking about what kind desktop environment would best
suit the
 > > needs of audio users.
 > >
 > > Since the Gnome 3 release I've kind of abandoned GNOME as it
doesn't really
 > > quite gel with my workflow. Since then I've been hovering over
KDE/XFCE, but
 > > the latest mongrel openbox (mixture of xfce4/qt-razor) setup I'm
using now
 > > seems to be winning.
 > >
 > > The qt razor project seems really exciting [1] - I've found the
components
 > > to be really quite mature but alas a little sparse. Razor is not in the
 > > repos yet but there is talk of including it and it is under heavy
 > > development [2]. I'm wondering if razor could be used as the
default desktop
 > > for an audio spin? If the desktop team ever decide to endorse a
Razor spin

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home://TI_Eugene://QtDesktop/Fedora_16/
 > > [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Razor-qt_Spin
 >
 > Experience says, desktop environment (DE) and text editor preference
 > discussions can easily shift into religious debates. Frankly I haven't
 > tried Gnome3, but I always found Gnome2 so counter-intuitive that I
 > doubt I will ever bother installing Gnome3.
 >
 > I have a very subjective tendency towards using Qt based environments,
 > perhaps because I code in Qt. I will take a look at what you proposed,
 > as it seems interesting.
 >
 > On the other hand, I have a feeling that whoever spends the most
 > effort to build the spin, gets the choose the default DE. At least
 > this is the way things usually go in the free software world.
 >
 > Best,
 > Orcan

Some people will prefer Gnome, others KDE, others Xfce, etc. I don't
think there is a DE that's best for audio users. So I don't see why we
should make a spin with a different DE than the one the Fedora community
has chosen for the default LiveCD.

Well, I think it really depends on what we are trying to achieve. Personally I think the smaller we can make the image the better. I haven't taken any real measurements yet but perhaps the others who walked down this road before have a better idea of which desktop inflicts the biggest storage footprint? Obviously anaconda will allow anyone to pull in whatever they want at install time, but I think its important to be able to showcase the software selection in a live CD. That restricts space somewhat.

Older systems will also benefit from using a somewhat lighter desktop. This is all just my opinion ...

Brendan