Re: [PlanetCCRMA] pulseaudio-1.1-3

Hi:

On 01/01/2012 05:14 AM, Simon Lewis wrote:
The biggest contribution that the Fedora-music team can make is too
persuade the fedora-core team to introduce a rolling update release aka
openSUSE Tumbelweed and Linux Mint. The multimedia apps (on linux) are
bleeding edge whereby the developers of the most interesting apps are
willing to make bug fixes and introduce new features quickly.
Unfortunately, these improvements upstream never filter down to the
fedora repos mostly because there are too few fedora packagers. A single
rolling release with snapshot releases for marketing purposes would meet
fedora aims for an actual distribution and significantly reduce the work
load.

I used to be a supporter of the rolling-release idea, but it seems to me that Fedora already strikes a good balance. As you noted, it all comes down to the initiative and number of package maintainers.

Some packages, such as the kernel, are generally updated when new upstream versions are ready. More often than not, it seems, both of the currently-maintained Fedora releases are running or are about to run the same kernel version. Even KDE has generally followed this update pattern, although it was broken with Fedora 15 and 16, which have KDE 4.6 and 4.7, respectively.

All I'm really saying is that convincing everybody to switch to a rolling release is going to be more effort than it's worth, because Fedora already accepts major version updates to packages in the same OS release cycle. As you noted, what we need is more packagers.

Christopher.