Re: [PlanetCCRMA] pulseaudio-1.1-3

On 11/26/2011 01:25 PM, Simon Lewis wrote:
Just one of those aha experiences - not sure if anyone is interested but
here it is anyway...

On my fc15 x86_64 installation I built and installed pulseaudio-1.1 from
the pulseaudio-1.1-3.fc17.src.rpm as found on
"http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/";.

The main reason for doing this is the better emulation of alsa in
pulseaudio-1.1 compared to pulseaudio-0.9.2x.

Not only does pulseaudio run perfectly on top of jackd, but it is
possible to route alsa only apps like sunvox into qtractor/ardour.

To do this I needed the four scripts listed at the bottom of this e-mail.

I used Qjackctl to run the scripts with the following entries in the
options tab of the settings dialogue:

Execute script on Startup:
/home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-pre-start.sh &

Execute script after Startup:
/home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-post-start.sh & a2jmidid -e &

Execute script on Shutdown:
/home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh & killall a2jmidid &

Execute script after Shutdown:
/home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-post-stop.sh &

If anyone has a better way to start and stop a2jmidid, I would be
interested.

Regards, Simon

pulse-jack-pre-start.sh
_____________________
#!/bin/bash
pacmd suspend true

pulse-jack-post-start.sh
______________________
#!/bin/bash
pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2
pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
pacmd set-default-source jack_in

pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh
_____________________
#!/bin/bash
SINKID=$(pactl list | grep -B 1 "Name: module-jack-sink" | grep Module |
sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
SOURCEID=$(pactl list | grep -B 1 "Name: module-jack-source" | grep
Module | sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
pactl unload-module $SINKID
pactl unload-module $SOURCEID
sleep 5

pulse-jack-post-stop.sh

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info - awesome stuff.

Just a few questions. 1. There's no reason why these scripts cannot run with 0.9.2 right?

2. what version of jackd are you using - from the repos? or have you compiled your own with DBUS support? (jackdbus only just hit f16 recently and you are using f15)

As for your question about a2jmidid I just pkill it also.

Another script I use in f16 that I put in my path is this: (the $1 parameter is either start or stop. pre|post in yr examples). I'm a developer so most people won't be using a lot of these services anyway, but you can tailor it for your needs:

fedora16:~ $ cat ~/bin/audio_services
#!/bin/bash
beesu systemctl $1 nfs-idmap.service nfs-lock.service ksm.service ksmtuned.service abrtd.service cups.socket cups.service sm-client.service sendmail.service ntpd.service mysqld.service httpd.service libvirtd.service crond.service sshd.service smb.service
if [ $1 == "stop" ]
    then beesu modprobe -r ath9k
    else beesu modprobe ath9k;
fi

Cross posting to Fedora-music also as I think this is of keen interest there (apologies)

Brendan