Re: Our first sound theme!

Hello:

I would like to respond to Karsten and Onyeibo in the same email. As last
time, I will be as short as possible, so if anything doesn't make sense, then
please ask.

Karsten said:
> [C]ould a resolution be as simple as, "Let's get
> some examples of world music, such as X, Y, and Z, as sound themes
> before we start pulling in the Great Canon of Western Music"?
Yes, I think that's the answer. I wasn't sure at first what to do, but at no
point was I thinking that we should destroy or ignore this first sound theme. A
large part of what scared me is that it seemed like an "open-and-shut" case
for changing the default sound theme--principally because this new theme is so
good.

The sounds are high quality, they're made from a free recording, they're non-
intrusive, and even a little bit crafty. "system-ready" and "desktop-login"
coincide nicely with each other and the form of the symphony. Not only do the
motives follow each other in the symphony, but the motive used for "desktop-
login" introduces the second theme in the symphony as well as the second
screen you interact with after turning on your computer. I don't know if this
was intentional, but it's there.

Karsten again:
> I wouldn't so much say that having Beethoven as a first sound theme is
> a bad thing, more that it is what you might expect given the cultural
> connotation. What can we do to encourage people to make themes from
> all over the world?
This will be the sticky point. Personally, I'd like to see some other sound
themes go along with it - and I'm willing to take part. If, in the end,
everybody disagrees with me, I'm not going to throw another tantrum.

Plus, the biggest issue was default or opt-in, and as Onyeibo replied, this
new sound theme...
> does not represent a default sound-theme for fedora product but an option
> different from the freedesktop theme which has been the only theme
> shipping with fedora for 3 yrs AFAIK

On a different topic, Karsten again:
> Part of your argument is political, and interesting, and probably
> on-topic for this music-oriented list (if you think the way I do.) But
> that part is also a lighting rod, and I think your point about seeking
> a broader range of sound themes stands on its own without invoking
> concern about Western music canon hegemony.
There should be a good variety, and Onyeibo mentioned that this is just the
Fedora Sound SIG's first product. I wouldn't for a minute, however, suggest
that we withhold the theme on grounds of there being an insufficient range of
personal choices; I suggest this only for political reasons.

Again, I don't want to ignore the effort that's gone into creating this
particular sound theme. It's difficult to predict the broader implications of
small-scale actions, so it seems to me like we should just wait for a month or
two, until we can release a few sound themes as a collection. It even makes
sense from a packaging perspective: if there will eventually be 20 sound
themes, for example, why not package them in groups of 5 or 10, rather than
forcing users to install 20 packages just to try out all the sound themes?

Karsten said:
> There is another argument I think you are making, if the sound themes
> quickly fill up with Western "best of" music, it might make people
> outside of that niche feel their music doesn't have a place. "Oh, our
> cool local rhythms are all right, but not Great and Good like
> Beethoven, so I won't waste Fedora people's time with them."  I do
> think that is a real concern, and applies to any area of participation
> in Fedora.
We're a long way from that, but now is the time to start thinking about these
potential problems. In fact, when I first heard about this project, I began
contemplating using my own favourite (canonic Western classical music) work
for a sound theme. Two sound themes are twice as intimidating as one!

Onyeibo said:
> It follows that no particular culture is being favoured although the
> present appear to suggest a preference to Western European Music.
Unfortunately, appearance is everything in cases like these. Nobody can guess
your motives, but everybody can see the apparent preference.

Onyeibo again:
> 'Old-Fashioned Primitivism'?  That doesn't sound objective -- not nice
> either.
I admit to using biased language, but "Primitivism" is indeed what's going on
at Ubuntu, and it isn't nice.

> If you believe Microsoft has solved the problem then it can be
> done, more so, by Fedora Contributors when they put there resources to
> it.
I agree!

> I see a lot of reasoning in your argument though it doesn't fully
> apply in this case.
My point is exactly that it doesn't all *seem* to apply. I don't expect to be
able to convince everybody in one go, so please ask specific questions. I am
more than happy to explain everything in much greater detail, and to provide
proof in the form of recognized scholars talking about issues like this.

> We could use more of your constructive
> approach/analysis at #fedora-sound channel (freenode).
> Thanks
I will start lurking around there when I'm using IRC. For this discussion, I
think it's important to keep things on a easily searchable mailing list, for
future reference.

Thank you for your thoughtful and quick responses. As long as this isn't a
pre-approved default sound theme, I'm much less concerned. In retrospect, I
should have started with just that simple question!

Christopher