Re: JACK in F15

On 04/16/2011 05:32 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:

> Especially, the pulseaudio part needs a hand. I don't (want to) know
> how to make jack work nicely with pulseaudio, but if you have some
> guideline, I won't mind including in the README.Fedora file.

----
Start the jack daemon (your parameters may be different):
     jackd -R -P4 -dalsa -r44100 -p512 -n4 -D -Chw:0 -Phw:0
----

This is unnecessarily complex, I think. A minimalistic command line
would be:

----
Start the jack sound server (the best parameters for your sound card may
be different):

     jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0

This will start jack on the first sound card, at 48KHz sampling rate
(can be changed with the "-r" command line parameter), with a period of
1024 frames (change with "-p", determines the latency) and with 2
interrupts per period (change with -n). USB sound cards can benefit from
running with "-n 3" or "-n 4". All of these optional parameters should
be specified after "-d alsa".

It is best to replace the card number with the card name as the
numbering can change from boot to boot if there is more than one sound
card. The name of a particular card can be found in the output of "cat
/proc/asound/cards", for each card it is the string between square
brackets without the trailing blanks.
----

(note: it is a sound server and not a daemon - while it does work "in
the background" it is not something similar to unix daemons which are
started at boot time).

- Qjackctl:

When starting jack through qjackctl it is important to note that you
should (at least) change the "Interface" field in the "Setup" dialog to
_not_ be "(default)" which would point Jack to use Pulse Audio. The
proper "Interface" is the direct hw ALSA device (hw:0 for the first
card, etc). Even best to use the name of the card as stated above.

- PulseAudio:

The instructions in the README are dated. Current jack (1.9.x) compiled
with the proper options will ask PA through dbus for ownership of the
sound card. PA will hopefully grant it and Jack will have complete
control of it. No conflicts and no configuration necessary. In this case
PA will stop using the card nd if it is the only one you will not have
sound for system sounds, browser media playback, etc (which is usually
what you want). Otherwise it is possible to load a PA module that
redirects PA to use Jack.

I don't have any need to use a jack.pa configuration file at all. It
just works (provided that you point jack to the hw alsa devices and not
to PA!).

- Running in realtime mode:

Hmmm, the explanation is correct except that in Fedora you don't need to
make any changes to the pam configuration. This should be stated at the
very beginning of that section.

(the real problem is how to make users aware of the README.Fedora file,
and then make them read it, and _then_ make them follow the
instructions... :-)

-- Fernando