Re: new packages in Fedora updates-testing (2010-04-10)

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The issue is, it takes time to get packages reviewed since there are
about 700 review requests pending. If we had 2 people on Fedora (1
will package, 1 will review) then things would go faster. But as 1
person, I am packaging stuff and waiting some external person to take
time to review the package. a2jmidi, for instance, I submitted it for
review months ago and nobody looked at it yet.

I'd be willing to do the "review" part, and could eventually apprentice on writing appropriately compliant fedora RPM specs.

a2jmidi -- i was going to look into it back when i thought i'd be using firewire... didn't bother now that midi. is under control.

(Are there any advantages to using a2jmidi and turning off the 'seq'  driver in qjackctl/jackd when using the alsa back-end? Other than having the same config for audio setups using either alsa or ffado/freebob ...)

But I can't force anyone to become a packager. It takes time to learn
and get into it, especially if the person does not have some
programming background. I am just announcing here, if there is anyone
who can spare a couple hours every week and is willing to do packaging
work, we would be very pleased.

I have programming background and would be interested in learning how packaging is done. I have my own build of http://vamp-plugins.org , for example, since I'm using them for my own website project/idea: http://nielsmayer.com/trainspodder-prototype.jpg http://nielsmayer.com/prototype-11-17-2009.jpg (which needs to be the focus of my time so I can't get too distracted w/ too much time-commitment ).

> (Btw, what
> should I do to get rid of the --nogpgcheck option
> when i don't want to include the updates-testing repo, and prefer to do it
> "manually" as below, yet would also like a GPG check of package integrity:

When the updates get signed and put into updates-testing repo (takes a
couple days after my announcements), you can temporarily enable the
updates-testing repo for once to install specific packages, like
$ yum --enablerepo updates-testing update muse
$ yum --enablerepo updates-testing install ladspa-wasp-plugins
etc. When this command finishes its work, your updates-testing repo
will be disabled.

Thanks for suggesting the correct way to do it.

-- Niels.